6.2.13

Personal Expenses

With the big move behind me and the full apartment decor ahead of me I decided it was time to start budgeting again. I don’t know about you but when I was fresh out of college and making minimum wage I lived exclusively by my budget tracker. I recorded my grocery purchases weekly, I declined dinner invites after looking up the menu online and ultimately treated my wallet like the very delicate and fragile thing that it is. Until I got a higher pay rate. Paying almost no attention to the fact that as my pay went up so did my expenses I have long trailed from the days of tracking my spending. *Ironically I remember thinking to myself that the best thing I could possibly do would be to continue to live sparsely and happily as I was and put the rest of my increased paycheck in savings.... what a thought.

So finally I sat down last night and made up my tracker - and to be honest it wasn’t too hard and it doesn’t look too bad. What I like most about tracking is watching how quickly things add up if you just decide to spend only $10 a month on this or limit yourself to 100 dollars every two months there suddenly you see the total at the far right of your excel grid is so much bigger. I mostly love allowing myself free spending money - its like a christmas gift from a grandparent - mine to spend wherever I want!

What about you- do you keep an expense tracker? Do you keep up with it? Or do you think they’re a waste of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment